Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Starbugs


Surprising news came out about Starbucks and if my title post wasn't hint enough its....BUGS!
Starbuggs? Strawberry Frappuccino Colored by Insects
yummy I got bugs in my tummy

Starbucks has been using cochineal extract derived from grinding up insects. These insects can be found mainly in parts of Mexico and South America.

So how are the dried bodies of cochineal bugs used in Starbucks? Starbucks uses the bugs to give their strawberry creme frappuccino it's pink color.

Before you freak out you'd be more shocked to hear these bugs have been used for years to give jams, marinades, alcoholic beverages, cheddar cheese for coloration. The FDA has considered this practice safe, however, the World Health Organization has reason to believe it's causing asthma and other allergic reactions.

This can cause negative reactions in vegan groups here in the country and possibly in its global locations.
The pink color of Starbucks’ Strawberry Frappucino is thanks to crushed up insects photo



UPDATE
A few weeks after the whole "bugging" incident with Starbucks strawberry frappuccinos, the company's U.S. president, Cliff Burrows, gave a statement. In an article by USA Today, he said, "We fell short of your expectations" and "We are formulating the affected products to assure the highest quality possible." 

By the end of June this year the bug extract will be completely taken out and replaced with tomato-based extract. The cochineal extract was also used in other products like the raspberry swirl cake, birthday pop, mini donut, and the red velvet whoopie pie. Soon all of these items will also get formulated with the tomato base extract.

Originally, Starbucks said they had started using the cochineal extract in order to prevent from using artificial ingredients. It wasn't until one of their employees (who happened to be a vegan) came upon the discovery of the newly packaged strawberry box. Many people (mainly vegan) are happy that they were heard by the company to change the ingredient. 

Im still not sure what side to be on this issue. I will admit I was surprised to hear that, but it honestly didn't bother me. I figured that there was worse things I'm probably eating found in other food. Also, I believe that this was made into a way bigger issue than it should have been. There are other important issues to worry about around the world.

3 comments:

  1. This post is very interesting. It makes me wonder what else is in the foods and drinks out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you named the title starbugs! very catchy. I've seen this article on my yahoo homepage and told myself I was going to read it when I have time and I totally forgot about reading it. Luckily, went on your page and read about it! short and simple way better than yahoo's i assume.

    I'm pretty shocked that the FDA approved it.. kind of gross..I have never tried the strawberry drink from starbucks so thank goddd! but I hope I didnt eat anything in the past or in the future that contains this. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me glad that I have been keeping on my mocha and vanilla fraps lately.
    i like the basic history of how they have been used in the past. But I wonder why it might be causing a health hazard.

    ReplyDelete