It's pretty disturbing discovering what this product is. Basically, pink slime is highly processed low quality beef tallow byproduct meat trimmings. After all the byproducts have been gathered it's then treated with ammonia gas to kill food borne illness. The material is then added to ground beef. Now, doesn't that just sounds so delicious?
Luckily, pink slime was not introduced by global business in the Middle East. It's partly do to that fact that most of the population doesn't consume beef products. At least global businesses were smart enough to do that, but wish they would give us a heads up. I feel that's the case in many of these issues. Just because the FDA approves a product legal in the US doesn't mean it should be hidden from the public. It could negatively impact a business.
Safeway, eh? Eeewwww, I think I might have some of that sitting in my freezer! What should consumers look out for to protect themselves? Is going organic the solution?
ReplyDeleteThis is great. I like how you had more of your voice into your writing.
ReplyDeleteTopic is soo interesting I must agree I wasn't surprise when I heard McDonald's was using pink slime.